The MED-EL Surgical Video Library offers complete surgical case studies from leading ENT surgeons. Created in cooperation with ARRI, these high-resolution videos capture precise movements and detailed structures with incredible clarity. Access is free and the easy-to-use library is optimized for desktop or mobile viewing.
SYNCHRONY Cochlear Implant Surgery
In this step-by-step surgical case study, Prof. Dr. Joachim Müller guides us through his techniques for implanting the SYNCHRONY Cochlear Implant. Prof. Müller is the Head of the Cochlear Implants and Hearing Prosthetics Section, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery at the University of Munich.
In this case, Prof. Müller’s patient is a 2-year-old female with profound bilateral sensorineural hearing loss. This is the second surgery of a sequential bilateral implantation; the patient had already been implanted 9 months earlier with a cochlear implant in her contralateral (right) ear.
In this high-definition surgical video, Prof. Müller utilizes a SYNCHRONY Cochlear Implant with Standard electrode array for the patient’s left ear. The 31.5 mm Standard array enables apical stimulation while allowing for preservation of delicate cochlear structures. Prof. Müller also utilizes the MED-EL Fixation Clip to further secure the placement of the electrode array.
- Pediatric female, 2 years, left ear
- Profound bilateral hearing loss
- Sequential bilateral implantation
- Slight variation of facial nerve anatomy
- Round window insertion
- SYNCHRONY Cochlear Implant
- Standard Electrode Array
- Electrode Fixation Clip
What to watch for:
- Layered post-auricular incision
- Identifying surgical landmarks including spine of Henley
- Creating subperiosteal pocket
- Preparing 1-2 mm deep bony bed for implant
- Creating anterior rim for fixation
- Drilling 5-point fixation for implant sutures
- Exposing of short process of incus
- Opening the facial recess
- Identifying facial nerve
- Exposing round window & removing bony overhang
- Drilling an electrode lead channel
- Extracochlear cortisone application
- Round window electrode insertion
- Sealing electrode with fascia
- Performing interoperative measurements
- Utilizing electrode fixation clip
- Smoothing implant profile with bony pate
- Closing incision in layers
- Post-operative imaging confirming electrode placement
Subscribe & Share
Want to see more videos from Prof. Müller? Check out his surgical techniques for the BONEBRIDGE Active Bone Conduction Implant.
Make sure you get all the latest updates from the MED-EL Professionals Blog—subscribe now!
Not all products, features, or indications shown are approved in all countries. Please contact your local MED-EL representative for more information.
Have a question about surgical techniques for SYNCHRONY? Let us know with our contact form or leave a comment below.
*Not all products, features, and indications shown are available in all areas. Please contact your local MED-EL representative for more information.