As you know, rehabilitation is essential to the success of every cochlear implant recipient. But it’s not always easy to find high-quality rehabilitation resources. That’s why we’re excited to announce a new initiative to support rehabilitation specialists and speech therapists.
We’ve created Themed Lesson Kits to support rehabilitation sessions with young children. These rehabilitation lesson kits can be a helpful resource for:
- Speech & Language Therapists
- Rehabilitation Therapists
- Auditory-Verbal Therapists
- Cochlear Implant Habilitationists
- Teachers of the Deaf and Hearing Impaired
- Parents of children with hearing loss
Each lesson kit is themed around a general topic (home, animals, etc.) and has multiple exercises that can be used over several sessions with each child. And every lesson kit has three levels, so that you can tailor it to the abilities of each child.
Each comprehensive lesson kit includes:
- 4 activities
- Step-by-step guides
- Listening goals
- Spoken language goals
- Cognition and theory of the mind goals
- Key strategies
- Printable graphics for each theme
The levels are based on listening and spoken language abilities.
- Level 1
- The child is learning to listen and attend to 1 unit of information. Spoken language is presented to the child in simple short sentences and acoustic highlighting techniques utilized to enable the child to attend to new information.
- The child is using single words, has a vocabulary of up to 200 words, and may be starting to combine words into 2 word combinations.
- Level 2
- The child is learning to listen and attend to 2 units of information. Spoken language is presented in longer sentences and acoustic highlighting techniques are utilized to encourage the child to attend to all the information in the sentence.
- The child is producing 2 to 3 word combinations, has a vocabulary of 200 to 2000 words, and is beginning to use some grammatical markers.
- Level 3
- The child is a proficient listener, learning to attend to 3 units of information. Spoken language is presented in a variety of complex sentences and acoustic highlighting techniques are utilized to encourage the child to attend to grammatical elements in the sentence.
- The child is producing 3 to 5 word sentences and questions, has a vocabulary of more than 2000 words, and is using a variety of grammatical markers.
And the best part? The lesson kits are all be available free of charge—we’re here to support your work and the success of every recipient. They can be printed, emailed, shared with colleagues, and even given to parents as at-home rehabilitation resources between sessions.
We’ll post a new lesson kit for download every month here on our Professionals Blog. There’s no deadline for downloading these rehabilitation resources, so you can easily find and share previous lesson kits.
Don’t forget to subscribe so you’ll know as soon as each Themed Lesson Kit is available!
Not all products, features, or indications shown are approved in all countries. Please contact your local MED-EL representative for more information.
*We’d like these kits to help as many people as possible, so the Themed Lesson Kits may be shared openly for fair usage. However, MED-EL retains full rights to the material, so the content may not be altered, rebranded, or repurposed for commercial use.
**Not all products and features shown are available in all areas. Please contact your local MED-EL representative for more information.