If you work with cochlear implant recipients who have a MED-EL audio processor, you may be familiar with the FineTuner Remote. Here’s a brief rundown of the basics and a few tricks that are useful to know.
Our processors are hands-free, so most settings adjust through Automatic Sound Management. But, if recipients want to change programs, connect to telecoil, or adjust volume & sensitivity manually, they’ll need their FineTuner.
Not everyone likes complicated gadgets, so we made sure FineTuner is simple, sturdy, and fits easily in a pocket. The buttons are easy to see and intuitive to use. The one-to-one button mapping is especially helpful for older recipients—each key is clearly labeled.
As an audiologist, you can enable or disable any button with a fitting. This can be helpful for children or older recipients wanting even simpler controls.
Here’s a quick hands-on to help show recipients what each button is for.
FineTuner tips & tricks:
- Automatic keyboard lock helps avoid accidental button pressing
- Double-pressing a key unlocks the keyboard for 10 seconds
- Bilateral users can control both processors together or independently
- T mode provides input of the telecoil only
- MT mode is 50/50 balance between telecoil and microphone
- FineTuner can change between any program in less than a second
The first time you connect a processor to FineTuner, you’ll need to synchronize them. It only takes a few steps and can be done by recipients. They’ll want to be familiar with this if they often use a spare processor.
To synchronize FineTuner with an audio processor:
- Turn off the audio processor
- Place the coil of the processor over the MT key on FineTuner
- Turn on the processor
- The audio processor and FineTuner will be synchronized automatically
- The two amber indicator lights will blink briefly to confirm
Recipients should see several months of FineTuner use from a single CR2025 battery. When the battery is low, the red indicator light blinks three times.
To change the FineTuner battery:
- Open the back battery cover of FineTuner with a small screwdriver
- Lift out the used battery with the coil magnet or gently shake the battery out
- Replace the used battery with a fresh button-cell CR2025
- Insert the new battery with the + sign facing up
- Close the lid by gently inserting it on the right-hand side, then sliding it in place
- Tighten the screw to finish
That’s all—we like to keep it simple. Have a question about using FineTuner? Leave a comment below! And don’t forget to subscribe today to get our hands-on articles right to your inbox.
Not all products, features, or indications shown are approved in all countries. Please contact your local MED-EL representative for more information.
*Not all products and features shown are available in all areas. Please contact your local MED-EL representative for more information.